Come Before His Presence With A Song
A three movement work for SATB chorus and chamber orchestra. Duration: 10 mins.
- Psalm 100
- Psalm 23
- Psalm 150
The outer movements are joyful and celebratory in mood; the second is more reflective. A melodic and accessible piece.
Orchestration: 2222/2200/timp + 1/strings.
A Christmas Cantata
For SATB chorus and orchestra. Duration: 25 mins.
- Introduction (words anon., 15th century)
- Chorale Prelude: There is a Flower Springing (words anon. German 15th century, translated by Ursula Vaughan Williams)
- Winter (Thomas Sackville)
- Moonless Darkness (Gerard Manley Hopkins)
- Green Grow’th The Holly (words anon. 16th century)
- Ring Out, Wild Bells (Alfred Lord Tennyson)
- There is a Budding Morrow in Midnight (Christina Rossetti)
Demo CD available on request
ORCHESTRATION: 2 (pic) 222 / 2200 / Timp+ 1 / Strings / Harp / Organ (optional)
A Christmas Cantata was commissioned by Islington Choral Society, who gave the first performance conducted by Michael Bowden, at St. John’s Church, Duncan Terrace, Islington, London on December 11th 1999.
‘It was such a pleasure to conduct Philip Godfrey’s Christmas Cantata again. It has everything a conductor looks for in a modern work to be presented to an audience of wide-ranging tastes – memorable melodies, enough straightforward challenges to keep the choir interested, an expertly crafted orchestration and an intelligent and perceptive choice of texts for the season, both sacred and secular. We first commissioned the work ten years ago and the choir and I are delighted to have been able to sponsor a work which has proved so durable and approachable.’ Michael Bowden, Conductor, Islington Choral Society.